Tuesday, May 19, 2026
Home PoliticsBahrain Confirms Repairs Completed at Gulf Petrochemical After Iranian Drone Attack

Bahrain Confirms Repairs Completed at Gulf Petrochemical After Iranian Drone Attack

by Anas Al bassem
0 comments
Bahrain Confirms Repairs Completed at Gulf Petrochemical After Iranian Drone Attack

Bahrain completes repairs after Gulf Petrochemical attack on April 5, 2026

Bahrain’s Interior Ministry says repairs are complete following the Gulf Petrochemical attack on April 5, 2026; the ammonia tank has been secured and evacuated residents have returned.

Bahrain’s Interior Ministry announced the completion of all maintenance work and containment of damage at the Gulf Petrochemical Company facility after the site was struck by an Iranian drone on April 5, 2026. The ministry said technicians finished stabilising and repairing an ammonia storage tank where the unmanned aerial vehicle had become lodged, and that the work adhered to stringent safety and security standards. Officials reported that earlier precautionary measures and a timely tank evacuation by the company prevented a potentially large-scale release of ammonia that could have endangered nearby communities.

Extent of damage and repair work completed

The Interior Ministry described the damage as contained following a focused programme of technical repairs and safety checks around the affected installation. Engineers removed the unmanned aerial vehicle from the tank structure and carried out structural and systems repairs to restore integrity to the containment unit. All repair activities were carried out according to protocols designed to eliminate any risk of chemical release and to meet the highest standards of occupational safety.

The ministry said inspection teams verified there was no ongoing leakage of hazardous materials during or after the repair process. Specialised contractors and civil defence personnel supervised the operation to ensure that remediation work did not create secondary hazards. Officials emphasised the use of preventive instrumentation and monitoring throughout the intervention.

Ammonia tank stabilised after drone impact

Authorities highlighted that the drone had become lodged in the ammonia tank, creating an immediate and serious risk of a toxic release. Ammonia is hazardous at high concentrations and can cause significant harm across wide areas if released; the ministry said such a release could have threatened lives and property in surrounding neighbourhoods. The facility’s operator undertook a pre-emptive emptying of the tank prior to repairs, a move the ministry credited with substantially reducing the danger.

Technical teams then secured the tank and performed pressure, structural and containment tests before certifying it safe. The ministry reported that all remedial steps conformed to international best practice for chemical storage incident response. Continuous atmospheric and structural monitoring remained in place as a precautionary measure following the works.

Evacuations, temporary housing and return of residents

As a safety precaution on the day of the strike, residents within a two-kilometre radius were asked to evacuate voluntarily and were offered temporary accommodation by authorities. The zone included several institutions and a limited portion of the 619 residential complex, according to the ministry. Authorities later confirmed that residents had been permitted to return home after inspectors declared the area safe.

Officials said temporary housing arrangements and emergency support were provided promptly to minimise disruption to families and residents. The Interior Ministry indicated that the return of residents followed thorough checks to ensure no residual hazards persisted in the evacuated zone. Local civil defence teams continued to monitor the area for any delayed effects.

Government and company measures credited for averting catastrophe

Bahrain’s statement credited a combination of government preparedness and the company’s proactive response with preventing large-scale casualties and property damage. The ministry noted that early precautionary actions, including the decision to empty the ammonia tank and to establish a controlled exclusion zone, were decisive in avoiding a more serious outcome. Authorities commended the coordination between the petrochemical operator, emergency services and safety specialists.

The ministry’s account underlined that preventative planning, rapid mobilisation of technical teams and adherence to safety protocols were central to the successful containment and repair operation. It also called attention to the role of pre-established emergency response frameworks in safeguarding populated areas near industrial facilities.

Attack described as a violation of international humanitarian law

In its announcement, Bahrain characterised the strike as part of what it called an “unjust aggression” and said the direct targeting of an industrial facility amounted to a crime under international humanitarian law. The ministry stated that attacks on civilian infrastructure and industrial installations that endanger lives, property and essential services are contrary to accepted international norms and should be rejected by the global community. Officials framed the incident as an example of actions that contravene established conventions and customary rules governing armed conduct.

The statement reiterated Bahrain’s position that such acts are unacceptable and warned of the risks posed when military or political disputes put civilian populations and infrastructure at risk. The ministry did not disclose any further operational details beyond the technical and safety updates.

Safety checks completed and next steps

With repairs finalised and residents returned, the Interior Ministry said ongoing surveillance and a programme of follow-up inspections will continue to ensure persistent safety. Authorities indicated that periodic monitoring and additional maintenance will be carried out as needed to maintain structural integrity and to guard against latent risks. The petrochemical company was expected to review its security and emergency response plans in coordination with civil defence agencies.

Bahrain confirmed that there were no reported casualties linked to the incident and that operations at the facility will resume only after clearance from safety authorities. The ministry reiterated its commitment to protecting citizens and residents and to maintaining preparedness for any future threats to critical infrastructure.

The Interior Ministry’s update finishes a chapter of immediate risk management at the Gulf Petrochemical site while signalling continued vigilance and regulatory oversight to prevent and mitigate similar incidents in the future.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
The Journal of the United Arab Emirates
-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00