Barcelona Launches Legal Review After Perez Accuses Club of Referee Corruption

Barcelona responds to Florentino Pérez over referee corruption accusations

Barcelona says its legal team is reviewing Florentino Pérez’s referee corruption claims over payments to José María Enríquez Negreira and will inform public.

Strong opening: club issues formal response

Barcelona issued an official statement on Wednesday in response to comments made by Real Madrid president Florentino Pérez.
The club said its legal department is carefully studying Pérez’s allegations that tied Barcelona to referee corruption related to payments to José María Enríquez Negreira.
Barcelona said it is analysing the remarks and will announce any positions or decisions at the appropriate time.

Details of Pérez’s accusations at the press conference

Florentino Pérez told reporters earlier that the payments constituted what he described as “the biggest scandal in the history of football.”
He pointed to transfers made over roughly 17 years to the former deputy head of the referees committee, José María Enríquez Negreira, and urged UEFA to intervene.
Pérez’s remarks escalated tensions between Spain’s two biggest clubs and propelled the matter back into the headlines.

Barcelona’s stated explanation for payments

In its reply, Barcelona reaffirmed that the sums paid to Enríquez Negreira were for legitimate technical and advisory reports.
The club denied any attempt to influence refereeing decisions and emphasised that contracted services were documented as professional consultancy.
Club officials insisted that contractual records and the stated purpose of the payments would form part of the legal review now under way.

Judicial status of the Enríquez Negreira case

The controversy remains the subject of an ongoing judicial investigation in Spain, meaning facts are still being established in court.
Prosecutors and investigators have examined financial records and communications tied to the former refereeing official, but no final judicial conclusion has been announced.
Both clubs are operating under the presumption that legal processes must run their course before sporting or disciplinary measures are determined.

Possible legal and sporting pathways ahead

Barcelona’s announcement makes clear its legal team is assessing options, which could include formal responses, evidence disclosures or other judicial steps.
Real Madrid has called for UEFA involvement; any referral to the governing body could prompt a separate sporting inquiry alongside national legal proceedings.
Observers say overlapping judicial and sporting processes can extend timelines and complicate decisions on potential penalties or reputational remedies.

Wider governance and transparency questions

The case has reignited debate over governance, transparency and the relationships between clubs and football officials in Spain.
Commentators and some stakeholders have urged clearer oversight mechanisms in refereeing appointments and external consultancy contracts.
The outcome of this matter may influence calls for reforms in how federations, leagues and clubs report and audit professional advice and payments.

Barcelona referee corruption allegations have now moved from headline accusations to a formal legal review by the club, and the situation will hinge on evidence produced in both courts and potential sporting investigations.
The club has pledged to inform the public once its legal review concludes and any next steps are decided.
Until judicial authorities and, if applicable, UEFA complete their inquiries, Spanish football will watch closely as the facts are established and possible consequences considered.

Related posts

Ten Toes launches Ten Beat fan intelligence platform ahead of World Cup 2026

Neymar storms off after fourth official mistakenly signals substitution in Santos defeat

Mamelodi Sundowns beat AS FAR 1-0 in CAF Champions League first leg