Lebanon president Aoun demands Israel implement full ceasefire before direct negotiations

Lebanon demands full ceasefire before direct talks with Israel, awaits U.S. date

Lebanon says Israel must implement a full ceasefire with Hezbollah before direct talks; Beirut says it is awaiting the United States to set a negotiation date.

President Joseph Aoun on Wednesday urged Israel to implement a complete ceasefire with Hezbollah before formal bilateral negotiations can begin. He told the presidential office that the only viable route to lasting security between Lebanon and Israel is through talks, but that Israel must first halt hostilities in full. Aoun emphasized that announced ceasefires cannot coexist with ongoing attacks and urged Washington to confirm a date to move the process forward.

Aoun’s demand for a complete halt to hostilities

President Aoun framed the ceasefire as a prerequisite for any meaningful diplomatic engagement between Beirut and Tel Aviv. He was quoted by the presidential statement saying Israel must “execute the ceasefire in full” before Lebanon will engage in direct negotiations. The president warned that continuing cross-border strikes after a ceasefire declaration would undermine any prospect of trust and progress.

Aoun’s comments reflect a insistence that words alone are insufficient and that tangible steps on the ground are required. The demand places clear conditions on the timetable for resumed diplomacy, shifting responsibility for the immediate next move to Israel and to the guarantors of any truce.

Beirut awaits U.S. scheduling of direct talks

According to the presidency, Lebanon is waiting for the United States to set a date for the planned direct negotiations with Israel. Washington has been acting as mediator in recent exchanges, and Lebanon expects the U.S. to formalize the timetable. Aoun said the Lebanese government stands ready to proceed once an internationally monitored ceasefire is in place and the U.S. confirms the arrangements.

Officials in Beirut have previously voiced support for U.S.-sponsored diplomacy, viewing American mediation as the most viable path to secure and enforce a negotiation framework. The timing and format of the talks remain subject to diplomatic arrangements that the U.S. is expected to coordinate.

Concerns about ceasefire durability and security

Aoun made clear that a ceasefire announcement must translate into an immediate cessation of attacks, including strikes that threaten civilian areas or military positions. He warned that any continuation of hostilities after a declared truce would be unacceptable and would jeopardize the negotiation process. The statement underscores Lebanon’s focus on tangible security assurances rather than provisional or fragile pauses in violence.

For Lebanon, assurances about the durability of a ceasefire are closely linked to broader stability along the Blue Line and in the south of the country. Officials and analysts have long argued that enforceable mechanisms and international oversight are necessary to prevent a rapid return to exchanges that could derail diplomacy.

Diplomatic steps already taken in Washington

Beirut and Tel Aviv have already held two meetings at the ambassadorial level in Washington as part of U.S.-led efforts to prepare for direct talks. Those preparatory contacts have been framed as confidence-building measures intended to set the agenda and procedural rules for future negotiations. Aoun’s remarks were delivered after those ambassador-level discussions, signaling Lebanon’s view that preliminary diplomacy must be matched by concrete operational changes on the ground.

Observers note that ambassadorial talks often serve as a platform to address procedural matters, but they typically do not substitute for the more substantive, state-level negotiations that will be needed to resolve contentious issues. Lebanon’s insistence on a full ceasefire before moving to direct talks raises the bar for the next round of meetings.

Implications for regional diplomacy and next steps

A demand for a full ceasefire by Lebanon has implications beyond bilateral relations with Israel, touching on wider regional dynamics and the role of international guarantors. U.S. engagement will be central to scheduling and possibly monitoring any truce, while regional actors may be called upon to support de-escalation and verify compliance. The requirement of a complete halt to hostilities could complicate a rapid return to the negotiating table if either side disputes whether the condition has been met.

Moving forward, diplomats will likely focus on the specifics of verification and the mechanisms that would ensure any ceasefire is observed. That could include third-party monitors, incident-reporting procedures, and agreed timelines for phased talks. For Lebanon, the government’s position is clear: negotiations will proceed only once hostilities have ceased in a verifiable and sustained manner.

Lebanon’s public stance places pressure on Israel and on mediators to clarify what constitutes a fully implemented ceasefire and how compliance will be tested, while also signaling Beirut’s readiness to transition from preparatory diplomacy to direct negotiation once those conditions are satisfied.

Related posts

New Orleans study warns sea level rise could trigger mortgage crisis in coastal cities

Trump says Iran eager to sign ceasefire but sends unrelated terms

U.S. Treasury Secretary Urges G7 to Adopt Sanctions Blocking Iranian War Financing