Monday, May 18, 2026
Home SportsMohamed Salah confirms decision to leave Liverpool after nine years

Mohamed Salah confirms decision to leave Liverpool after nine years

by Hossam Hunaidi
0 comments
Mohamed Salah confirms decision to leave Liverpool after nine years

Mohamed Salah Liverpool exit confirmed as forward to leave Anfield this summer

Mohamed Salah Liverpool exit confirmed: The Egyptian forward said he is “comfortable” with leaving Liverpool this summer (2026) after nine years, ending his Anfield career on his own terms.

Salah Confirms End of Nine-Year Anfield Spell

Mohamed Salah has announced he will leave Liverpool at the end of the season, confirming what had been widely anticipated across the football world. The forward said in a televised interview that finishing the campaign and departing on his own terms felt like the right decision for him. He described the latest season as difficult and indicated that the timing for his exit had come.

Salah’s statement closes a chapter that began when he arrived at Anfield, where he became one of the club’s most decorated and recognizable players. The decision was presented as mutual and deliberate, with the player stressing he felt “comfortable” with the move and ready to control the final stages of his Liverpool career.

Agreement Reached to Terminate Two-Year Contract

Liverpool and Salah agreed to end the two-year deal the player signed roughly twelve months ago, according to his remarks. The contract, which had been due to continue beyond the current season, will be concluded by mutual consent this summer (2026), allowing Salah to depart when the campaign ends. Club and player reached the arrangement after discussions that reportedly considered both sporting and personal priorities.

The early termination removes uncertainty about Salah’s immediate status and clears the way for the club to plan for the long term without speculation about his future. It also gives Salah the freedom to weigh offers and select the next destination without being bound by the remaining year of his previous contract.

Public Rift with Manager Arne Slot in December

The decision follows a turbulent season that included a highly publicised rift with manager Arne Slot in December, when Salah publicly criticised coaching decisions after being omitted from the starting line-up. The disagreement became a focal point during a run of poor results, and it marked a low ebb in what had otherwise been a remarkably successful nine-year spell at the club. Salah has not dwelt on the details but acknowledged the season had been hard for everyone involved.

The dispute exposed deeper tensions about team selection and the balance between squad management and the needs of senior players. While both parties have moved to a pragmatic conclusion, the December episode will be remembered as a defining moment in Salah’s final season at Anfield.

Final Home Match Set to Honor Salah Against Brentford

Liverpool plan to pay tribute to Salah in his final home game of the season, scheduled against Brentford, where supporters and the club are expected to mark his contributions. Despite being sidelined with a current injury, Salah said he is “likely” to return in time to take part in the farewell at Anfield. The match will provide an opportunity for fans to celebrate a player who has been central to Liverpool’s success in the last decade.

Club and stadium arrangements for such occasions typically include pre-match tributes and presentations, and there is every expectation that Salah will receive a formal send-off befitting his achievements. The confirmation of his intent to leave ensures the fixture will carry added emotional significance for teammates, staff and supporters.

Salah Says He Has Plenty to Offer and Multiple Options

In the interview with Steven Gerrard on TNT Sports, Salah emphasised that he still feels physically fit and capable of contributing at a high level. He stated that he had “a lot to offer” and described his physical condition as excellent after playing many matches this season. Salah also revealed he has several attractive options for the next stage of his career but has not yet decided which route to take.

The forward’s comments suggest he is considering offers that would match both his professional ambitions and personal preferences. Clubs across different leagues may be monitoring the situation closely, and Salah’s freedom to choose will likely prompt a competitive set of proposals before he announces his next club.

Legacy at Liverpool and Next Steps

Salah leaves with a legacy of goals, trophies and landmark performances that reshaped Liverpool’s attacking identity over the past nine years. He has been a consistent scorer and a figure of international stature, helping the club to domestic and continental honours that became central to its modern era. The club, supporters and wider football community will assess his place among Liverpool’s all-time greats as part of the post-departure conversation.

Looking ahead, Salah’s immediate priority appears to be recovery from injury and ensuring he can participate in his final Anfield appearance. After that, he will weigh offers and make a decision on his next club; until then, the football world will watch closely as one of the sport’s leading forwards prepares the next chapter of a remarkable career.

Mohamed Salah said he was content with the timing and manner of his exit and expressed gratitude to teammates and fans, while confirming he has not yet settled on his next destination.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
The Journal of the United Arab Emirates
-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00