Swatch overcrowding at Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates cancels Audemars Piguet launch
Swatch overcrowding at Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates on May 16, 2026 forced cancellation of an Audemars Piguet launch; security intervened for public safety.
A planned launch of Audemars Piguet watches was called off on Saturday after severe Swatch overcrowding at two major Dubai shopping centres prevented the scheduled opening. The rush began in the early hours and sales that were due to start between 7 and 8 a.m. did not go ahead as planned. Mall and retailer staff said security stepped in to manage the situation and to safeguard visitors.
Massive crowds at Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates
Large numbers of customers and collectors gathered at the Swatch outlets in Dubai Mall and Mall of the Emirates from shortly after midnight, according to witnesses at the scene. Foot traffic at both locations grew steadily through the night, with groups forming lines that extended into common mall areas. The heavy turnout created congestion that mall security deemed a safety risk before the stores could open.
Early sales notice and midnight queues
Swatch sales staff had earlier informed patrons that retail sales would begin between 7 and 8 a.m. on Saturday, prompting many to arrive well ahead of that window. The early notice appears to have compounded interest in limited releases and collectible models, drawing long queues to both flagship stores. Organisers had anticipated demand but the volume exceeded the preparations put in place for orderly entry.
Security steps in; Audemars Piguet launch canceled
Mall security teams intervened when the crowding began to impede normal circulation and to pose potential hazards, officials at the scene said. As a result, the event for introducing the Audemars Piguet collection was cancelled to prevent escalation and to prioritise public safety. Staff at the stores halted planned sales and access remained restricted while teams worked to disperse the crowd.
Retail response and statements from sales staff
Employees working at the Swatch locations confirmed the morning sales window of 7–8 a.m. in statements to customers before the situation developed. After security measures were enforced, store staff were unable to offer an immediate new start time for purchases and redirected enquiries to mall management. No formal statement from Swatch or Audemars Piguet representatives had been released at the time of reporting.
Impact on mall operations and visitor safety protocols
The incident disrupted normal mall operations in both shopping centres for several hours, with security personnel focused on restoring safe movement through common areas. Management teams temporarily rerouted foot traffic and increased patrols to avoid secondary incidents. The episode has highlighted the challenge malls face when high-demand retail events intersect with peak visitor volumes.
Crowd-management considerations for future luxury releases
Retailers and event organisers in Dubai are likely to reassess how limited-edition watch launches are handled to prevent repeat Swatch overcrowding scenarios. Options under consideration by industry observers include pre-registered time slots, digital queuing systems, and clearer communication about stock limits to reduce overnight queuing. Coordination between brands, mall operators and security services will be crucial for balancing commercial demand with public safety.
Authorities and mall management are expected to review the incident and consider measures to prevent similar disruptions during future product releases. The cancellation underscores the pressures that high-profile luxury rollouts can place on public spaces when demand outstrips planned crowd-control arrangements.