Monday, May 18, 2026
Home PoliticsTrump temporarily suspends Strait of Hormuz escort operation to pursue Iran deal

Trump temporarily suspends Strait of Hormuz escort operation to pursue Iran deal

by Anas Al bassem
0 comments
Trump temporarily suspends Strait of Hormuz escort operation to pursue Iran deal

Trump orders suspension of Strait of Hormuz escort operation amid reported progress toward a deal with Iran

Trump says he will suspend the Strait of Hormuz escort operation as Washington pursues a deal with Iran, citing military success and diplomatic requests.

President Donald Trump announced on his Truth Social platform that the United States will suspend the Strait of Hormuz escort operation after it was launched just one day earlier, saying the pause is intended to allow space for a potential comprehensive agreement with Iranian representatives. The move, described as a temporary suspension of “Project Freedom” to escort commercial vessels, came alongside assertions of significant military success during the campaign against Iran. U.S. officials confirmed the pause would leave economic and security measures in place while negotiations continue.

Trump frames suspension as diplomatic opportunity

Trump said the suspension followed requests from Pakistan and other countries and reflected “huge military success” and progress toward a full agreement with Iranian representatives. He framed the pause as conditional and short-term, intended to permit negotiators to try to complete and sign a deal. The president also said that broader containment measures would remain fully in effect during the suspension.

U.S. official states offensive phase has ended

In a White House press briefing, U.S. official Marco Rubio announced that offensive operations directed at Iran had ended, saying the phase labelled in internal communications as an attack campaign was concluded. Rubio said U.S. priorities would shift toward reopening the Strait of Hormuz and pursuing diplomatic channels to stabilise the situation. Officials described the change as a transition from active strikes to a posture focused on negotiation and maritime security.

Military leaders stress readiness to resume combat if ordered

A senior U.S. military official told reporters that forces remain prepared to resume wide-ranging combat operations against Iran if ordered to do so. The official warned adversaries not to interpret current restraint as a lack of resolve, underlining that military capability and command structures remain intact and ready. This message was intended to balance the diplomatic gesture with a clear deterrent posture.

Diplomatic push aimed at a comprehensive Iran accord

U.S. statements indicate the suspension is tied directly to an effort to reach a comprehensive accord with Iran, with negotiators reportedly working to finalise terms. Leaders in Washington and partner countries signalled a willingness to test whether a negotiated settlement could be achieved without further escalation. The decision to pause the maritime escort operation appears designed to create diplomatic space while retaining leverage through other measures.

Regional and commercial implications for Gulf shipping

The announcement prompted immediate attention from regional capitals and maritime operators, who had been monitoring security developments closely since the operation began. A sustained or renewed escort effort in the Strait of Hormuz would have altered insurance, routing and naval deployments for commercial traffic; the suspension reduces the near-term need for a pronounced naval escort presence. Nevertheless, shipping firms and Gulf states cautioned that the corridor’s safety and the pace of any reopening would depend on operational details yet to be clarified.

Congressional oversight and monitoring ahead

U.S. officials said they had communicated key developments to Congress, reflecting the political sensitivity and oversight obligations tied to military operations and significant diplomatic initiatives. Legislators are expected to seek briefings on both the security rationale behind the initial escort mission and the criteria that would trigger a resumption of kinetic actions. Oversight will likely focus on verification mechanisms for any deal and the conditions under which force might again be authorised.

The suspension of the Strait of Hormuz escort operation leaves a fragile window for diplomacy while maintaining a clear warning that military options remain available, and Washington says it will continue to monitor events closely as negotiators and regional partners work toward a resolution.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
The Journal of the United Arab Emirates
-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00