Monday, May 18, 2026
Home WorldTrump Threatens Renewed War as U.S. and Israel Prepare Attacks on Iran

Trump Threatens Renewed War as U.S. and Israel Prepare Attacks on Iran

by Marwane al hashemi
0 comments
Trump Threatens Renewed War as U.S. and Israel Prepare Attacks on Iran

Trump Threatens Renewed War with Iran as Negotiations Continue through Pakistan

President Trump warned of a renewed war with Iran in a forceful social media post, saying Tehran must act quickly or “there won’t be anything left,” as talks mediated by Pakistan continue.

Opening summary

President Trump issued a stark ultimatum to Iran this week, warning of a renewed war with Iran if Tehran does not meet U.S. demands in stalled negotiations. The warning, posted on social media and amplified by senior U.S. officials, reiterated pressure on Tehran to curb its nuclear activities and to cease actions affecting the Strait of Hormuz. Iranian officials said they had delivered a new counterproposal through Pakistani intermediaries and signalled readiness to respond to any aggression.

Trump’s ultimatum and public rhetoric

The White House broadcast a sense of urgency, with the president warning that “the Clock is Ticking” while stopping short of setting a firm deadline. Administration spokespeople have repeatedly linked diplomatic leverage to the threat of resumed military action, underscoring that all options remain on the table. Observers noted that similar public threats have been issued in recent weeks without immediate follow-through, leaving analysts to debate whether the rhetoric reflects operational intent or bargaining posture.

Iran’s counterproposal and Pakistan’s mediation

Tehran confirmed it had transmitted another counterproposal to Washington via Pakistani mediation, indicating that back-channel diplomacy remains active even as public tensions escalate. The Iranian foreign ministry’s communications team told reporters the negotiations continue and signalled confidence in Iran’s ability to respond to external pressure. Pakistani officials have played a discreet facilitation role, according to both sides, seeking to bridge gaps on nuclear constraints and maritime security without making their mediation a headline.

Pentagon planning and allied preparations

U.S. defence officials have told congressional and military overseers that planning is under way for a potential resumption of Operation Epic Fury, which was paused after a cease-fire last month. Multiple regional sources with knowledge of operational planning, speaking on condition of anonymity, described heightened coordination between U.S. and Israeli forces and the largest set of preparations since the earlier pause. Pentagon planners, according to these sources, are reviewing strike options, force posture adjustments, and logistics to enable a rapid return to kinetic operations if ordered.

Military options and strategic risks

Military analysts caution that air strikes alone are unlikely to compel Iran to accept the full scope of U.S. demands, particularly regarding highly enriched uranium stockpiles and nuclear infrastructure. A more intrusive option — a targeted special forces operation to secure or destroy sensitive material — would carry significant operational risk and the potential for U.S. casualties. That prospect raises concerns about domestic political support for renewed ground operations and the wider regional fallout that could draw multiple states deeper into conflict.

Strait of Hormuz, energy markets and Project Freedom

A central element of the dispute remains Tehran’s posture toward the Strait of Hormuz, a vital chokepoint for global oil and gas shipments that has been a flashpoint in recent weeks. Iranian refusals to accept terms that would limit enrichment and guarantee free transit have contributed to market unease and resumed price volatility. The United States briefly announced an escort initiative, dubbed Project Freedom, to protect commercial vessels transiting contested waters, but that operation was suspended to allow for continued diplomatic engagement.

Diplomatic avenues and regional implications

Regional governments and international actors have urged restraint while quietly pressing their own lines to prevent escalation, with Pakistan maintaining a discreet role as intermediary. The cease-fire declared last month appears fragile, and the current round of exchanges underscores how quickly diplomatic pauses can unravel. Gulf states and energy markets are closely monitoring developments, aware that an erosion of the truce could have immediate humanitarian and economic consequences across the region.

Renewed confrontation would reshape strategic calculations for Middle Eastern partners and for global energy security, but for now the situation remains one of high-stakes brinkmanship rather than open conflict. Observers say the coming days will be critical as negotiators exchange proposals and military planners keep contingency options in place.

You may also like

Leave a Comment

Are you sure want to unlock this post?
Unlock left : 0
Are you sure want to cancel subscription?
The Journal of the United Arab Emirates
-
00:00
00:00
Update Required Flash plugin
-
00:00
00:00